Jason Kunin was born and raised in Montreal. He attended Concordia University (BA, 1992), the University of Toronto (MA, 1993; B.Ed 1995), and York University (PhD, 2002). He began his teaching career with the former North York Board of Education in 1995 and became a contract teacher in 1998. After brief stints at Nelson A. Boylen, Earl Haig Secondary School, and Sir Sandford Fleming, he spent 17 years at Vaughan Road Academy, where he taught English, film, and social studies and served as the last ACL of Languages before the school closed in 2017. After serving one term as the ACL for Languages at Western Technical Commercial School, he taught in the Virtual Secondary School during the 2020-2021 school year. He was elected to the TTBU Executive in June 2021.
Before being elected, Jason had been a branch president or council delegate for 19 years. In addition to serving on the editorial board of the D12 Voice, he was also a long-time member of the Human Rights Committee as well as co-chair of the Political Action Committee. He did one term as an Executive Officer at Large in 2014-2015 and served as a delegate to Toronto York Region Labour Council and the Campaign for Public Education.
In addition to being a teacher and activist both within the union and outside of it, Jason is also a videographer and freelance writer whose articles have appeared in The Toronto Star, The Globe and Mail, and Now Magazine, among other publications. In his spare time (when he has it) he enjoys reading, gardening, photography, and spending time with his partner.
Phone: 416-393-8900 ext: 243
- Communications and Political Action Committee (CPAC) Liaison
- Human Rights Committee Executive Liaison/Human Rights Officer
- Faculties of Education Executive Liaison Back-Up
- Toronto & York Region Labour Council Back-Up Delegate
- Toronto & York Region Labour Council's Education Subcommittee Back-Up Delegate
- Birchmount Park C. I.
- Burnhamthorpe ALC
- Burnhamthorpe C.I. – Edvance
- City Adult Learning Centre (CALC)
- City Adult Learning Centre (CALC) S.S. – Edvance
- City School
- East York C. I.
- Emery A. L. C.
- Emery C. I.
- Emery Edvance
- Monarch Park C. I.
- North Albion C.I.
- Riverdale C.I.
- Rosedale Heights School of the Arts
- Scarborough Centre for Alternative Studies (SCAS) ALC
- Scarborough Centre for Alternative Studies (SCAS) – Edvance
- Sir William Osler H.S.
- West Humber C.I.
- Yorkdale ALC
- Yorkdale S.S. – Edvance
- York Memorial C. I.