A youth social justice forum
Hosted by the OSSTF Toronto HUMAN RIGHTS COMMITTEE
For the fifth year the Human Rights Committee of OSSTF District 12 (Toronto Secondary Teachers, Occasional Teachers and Professional Student Services Personnel) will host an exciting and unique student social justice forum. We created Action:reAction to draw together politically and socially engaged educators and students with community activists so we can share and learn from one another. Understanding that social change and creative expression go hand in hand, the forum highlights creative resistance: popular education approaches such as street theatre, hip hop, spoken word, graffiti, visual arts and the like. The social justice forum aims to be a creative space for engaged youth to gather and share information, ideas, and accomplishments.
- Students and educators from across the city who have a personal commitment to human rights and social justice and who want to meet and share experiences with others, both inside and outside the school system, who feel the same way. Workshops will be facilitated by experienced community activists.
Where and When:
- 8:30 am to 3:00 pm, Wednesday, April 25th, 2018, Central Technical School, 725 Bathurst Street, Toronto (Bathurst Subway Station) .
- Celebrating the extensive, creative, and vibrant human rights/social justice work being done across the city.
- Gathering Toronto-based students, teachers, unionists, artists and human rights & social justice community activists to learn from one another.
- Creating a network of student and teacher activists from across the city that is connected to the larger activist community in Toronto.
- Presenting the Camille Natale Awards to recognize outstanding Human Rights/Social Justice activism by TDSB students.
How to Register:
There are two parts to registration and registration is not secured until both steps have been completed. Workshops fill up quickly and are filled at a first-come-first-serve basis.
- If you are intending to come, please email Bruce (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
Name of School
- Number of Staff Attending
Number of Students you intend to bring
This step will GREATLY support us with calculating numbers for the event and shouldn’t take more than 1-2 minutes. Once you have contacted Bruce with your intention to attend, Bruce will contact you to provide you with more information. You will need to confirm you have attained your Principal’s approval to attend by Wednesday March 7.
2. Tuesday, March 20 to Wednesday, April 4 will be the Workshop Registration Period where students will select their workshops and workshop alternates. Bruce will be sending out a link to those who completed step 1 of the registration process. Please note that workshops fill up quickly.
3. The OSSTF D12 Human Rights Committee is considering arranging a workshop for Teachers during the Action:reAction forum, while students are supervised by workshop presenters who are TDSB Teachers, or in some cases, community members. OSSTF strongly advises that you disclose and confirm this supervision arrangement both in the requisite Field Trip application forms submitted to your Principal, and on the Field Trip release forms signed by parents/guardians.
Please note: This is a garbage-less event so we ask that you remind your students (and yourself) to bring reusable containers/plates, cutlery, and a cups/bottles, to eat the delicious lunch.
We ask participating TDSB schools to consider applying for the Camille Natale Award. The application form is here: https://osstftoronto.ca/news/2018/01/the-camille-natale-awards-2/
Questions regarding the conference can be directed to:
Chris Chandler, Executive Liaison to OSSTF D12 Human Rights Committee: email@example.com, 416-393-8900, ext. 241
Bruce Lyne, Educator Coordinator for Action re:Action, firstname.lastname@example.org