As a part of our plan for improving member access to TTBU meetings, the TTBU Constitution and Steering Committee is conducting a review of our current Rules of Order for both TTBU Council and Annual General Meetings through an equity lens, with a goal of making the rules more accessible to all members. As someone who was registered to attend the November 19, 2020 Annual General Meeting and/or as a Council Representative, we are seeking your input.
One way of providing input is through the completion of the online survey found below.
The survey will close on January 4, 2021 @ 4:30 PM.
In addition, there will be a limited number of 5-minute time slots available for those who wish to meet with the TTBU Constitution and Steering Committee to provide feedback verbally instead. The dates set aside for this are n Tuesday, January 5 and Monday, January 11 between 4:30pm – 6pm. To book a time, contact Nadia Vanker at email@example.com or 416-393-8900 Monday – Friday, between 8:30am – 4:30pm. The verbal consultations will take place online and a link will be sent to you prior to your scheduled time.
Before providing feedback, members are encouraged to review the Rules of Order adopted by Council and the AGM for this year as follows:
Each year the members who volunteer for the TTBU Constitution and Steering Committee review and recommend Rules of Order to Council at the first Council Meeting of the year. The members of Council vote to accept the rules as recommended, or to accept amendments proposed by fellow-Council Reps, and then adopt the amended Rules for their use for the remainder of the year.
Prior to each Annual General Meeting the volunteer members who make up the TTBU Constitution and Steering Committee review and recommend Rules of Order to the members in attendance at that AGM. The members at the AGM vote to accept the rules as recommended, or to accept amendments to the rules as proposed by fellow AGM reps, and then adopt the amended Rules for their use for the meeting.
The tentative timeline for the review and refinement of the TTBU Council Rules of Order is as follows:
- Online survey to AGM attendees and Councillor Representatives
- The survey would be distributed to those that attended the AGM in November and to our registered Councillor Representatives.
- Surveyors will have the opportunity to self-identify what equity seeking group(s) they belong to
- Surveyors will be asked to provide suggestions on how to better accomplish the business of our meetings
- Survey dates: December 11, 2020 to January 4, 2021 @ 4:30 PM
- One-on-one consultations w/ the Constitution and Steering Committee
- Those who wish to speak directly with the Committee would have an opportunity to share their ideas instead of the survey
- Consultation dates: January 5, 2021 and January 11, 2021 from 4:30 to 6:00 PM (5 minute appointments for people to provide verbal feedback)
- Constitution and Steering Committee review of all feedback and creation of a draft Council Rules of Order.
- This would occur between January 8th and January 13, 2021, with a finalized draft at the January 14th Constitution and Steering Committee meeting.
- Draft Council Rules of Order presented at January Council meeting
- Councillors are provided with a copy of the draft Rules of Order for their feedback during the meeting via “Committee of the Whole”
- Motion to adopt Draft Rules (come into effect at February meeting)
- Notice of Motion presented for the Finalized Draft of the Council Rules of Order
- to be voted on at the February Council meeting,
- based on Council’s feedback
- Creation of final draft of the Council Rules of Order
- The Constitution and Steering Committee would meet between January Council and February Council to incorporate into the Rules of Order any feedback.
- Final Draft of Council Rules of Order voted on at February Council meeting.
- These Rules of Order would come into effect at the next Council meeting (April).
Please contact the Executive Liaison of the Constitution and Steering Committee, Rony Masri at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions.